What Makes This Queens Neighborhood Interesting
This middle-class neighborhood in the center of Queens mainly consists of retail and commercial areas, but there are some affordable housing options. Although it may not be one of the safest neighborhoods in Queens, the place is still quite safe overall. According to a report by the NYPD’s 103rd Precinct, the crime rates have gone down by over 80% since the 1990s. The location has a long history, a diverse population, and offers many exciting opportunities to explore.
The Area Provides Affordable Housing Options
According to AreaVibes, the cost of living in the neighborhood is about 10% cheaper than anywhere else in the city. When looking at housing, a median home price of $364,600 is about 28% lower than the city’s $509,000. Median rent costs of $1,250 are similar to NYC overall, with more than 56% of residents renting instead of buying. The number of renters is still lower compared to the city, where 68% of all residents rent.
The Neighborhood Has a Long and Rich History
The area was settled under the Dutch in 1656 as Rustdorp. Under the British Empire, it served as a center of the Town of Jamaica. The town served as the first seat of Queens county for more than a century (1683-1788). And the neighborhood was Long Island’s first incorporated village. The town and the village were dissolved in 1898 when the City of Greater New York incorporated them, but the neighborhood still held onto its role as the county seat. Nowadays, the location is the seat of many NY government institutions in Queens.
Diversity Is One of Jamaica’s Main Draws
One of this place’s main draws is the cultural diversity, influencing local restaurants, markets, and activities. The neighborhood’s racial diversity is represented in the 2010 demographic report. When looking at the racial structure, the largest groups are Latino or Hispanic of any race (38.7%), Asians (24.3%), and African Americans (22.2%). Interestingly, the area has only 3.6% non-Hispanic White residents, much less than the 43% in the city.
Experience Some Fun and Exciting Activities
Living in Queens provides numerous opportunities. Whether you’re looking for a place to drink, go shopping, or attend social events, the neighborhood has something for everyone. If you’re living in Manhattan and looking to have a staycation in NYC, the community could offer a nice change of pace you need. Here are some things you can do here once you move:
- Have a Drink at PreGame Sports Bar & Lounge – Want to try out what breweries in Queens have to offer? Stop by the bar and enjoy a game on the TV while having a drink. Lasting from 2 pm – 8 pm, the happy hour is pretty long, offering some excellent discounts like a 3$ beer, 4$ wines, and 5$ well drinks.
- Go Shopping on Jamaica Avenue – This 11-mile long, easily accessible area is known as a shopping paradise. The diverse marketplace is known for its lower price margins and quality products.
- Visit the King Manor Museum – The historic house museum is dedicated to Rufus King’s anti-slavery work. Get to know the King family legacy by checking out one of the museum’s weekly events.
- Hike in Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge – This incredible bird sanctuary is home to over 300 species. Besides birdwatching, the refuge features plenty of parks and trails, making it a great alternative when you don’t have time to visit one of the best hikes near NYC.
- Go on a Workshop in the Center for Arts & Learning – Each year, over 35,000 people from different backgrounds participate in various classes, workshops, and performances at the center.
Look for Moving Companies in New York With Experienced Jamaica Movers
Moving stress is usually a regular part of any relocation. One of the easiest ways to mitigate its effects is to look for some New York moving companies with the best reviews to help you out. One such local relocation company is our own Twin Brothers Movers. We’re a family-run business, here to assist you in any way possible. Feel free to take a look at some of the moving services we provide
Make the Relocation Easy – Get Some Services From New York City Movers
Hiring professionals and getting even a single service like packing or transporting stuff to storage will save you a lot of time and make the whole process significantly more comfortable. Besides the premium services, New York movers can also demonstrate some useful moving hacks.
Movers Jamaica Offer Various Moving Services
Depending on the type of relocation a customer requires, New York City moving companies have a couple of options available:
- Residential Moving – Need to move to another home? The most common service out there includes everything you need when relocating.
- Commercial Move – When relocating a business, saving time is crucial. If you’re a business owner, this is the smartest option for you.
- Packing – This service is essential if you want to have a quick and easy move or you’re preparing to leave your stuff in storage for a while.
Packing is Essential When Moving in New York
To reduce the number of things you need to pack, look up where you can donate furniture in NYC. Still, we can’t stress enough how important it is to get some good professional packing services. Having someone to help you out with all the preparation can save you a lot of time and nerves. If you hire us, we’ll also make sure your belongings don’t end up on the list of most commonly forgotten things to pack. Before getting this service, remember that there are some items movers won’t move, like toxic substances, flammables, and explosives.
Hire the Best Mover in the State
We hope we’ve convinced you to hire our New York moving company. If you need more reassurance, you can check our customer reviews, left by almost a thousand of our previous clients.
Don’t Waste Any Time, Get a Free Quote on Our Service Now
As soon as you lock in your home, make sure to book our service as well. Depending on the period of the year, relocations are more or less frequent, and our local movers in New York may already have a full schedule for your specific date. If you want to avoid missing out on some excellent service, contact us and get a free quote on your move to one of the best places to live in Queens today.